Thursday, July 21, 2011

$26 Apollo Bike!!



I've got this thing with collecting old bikes. I've got four bikes in total, and three of them are in pieces awaiting their complete restoration. I'll post up restoration stories on them, once I get the time to actually restore them. Anyway, I saw this Apollo on eBay going for $23. On the last minute of the auction, I placed $26 and won the beauty! The bike was located East of Brisbane, so the following weekend I drove up and collected it from the elderly lady who was selling it. She informed me that it was her late husband's bike. Since his passing, the bike had just been sitting in the garage for the past seven years collecting dust. I told the kind lady that I would give the Apollo the much needed attention and use!

The bike was in really good condition; all the parts were intact and running, both the tyres were flat, but with a little pump of air it ran like a beaut! I started disassembling the bike over the next few nights and polishing all the bits and pieces 'til it looked shining new! After countless hours polishing it, I got it back to its former glory. In the meantime, I'll leave it as it is, but when I've got some spare cash I'll replace the mudguards with some new chrome ones, get a nice new brooks saddle, and a dyno bullet-light for the front.

RIP, Auntie Aurora.

No comments:

Post a Comment