Sunday, July 24, 2011

Upload complete - let's go for a walk



Well, I'm up-to-date with all my photo posts. As mentioned, all of the previous posts were shot in the past 6 months, so all my future posts will be new material. Now, I'd like to let you know that my coming adventures are going be interesting. About two weeks ago, I finally put in my overdue resignation at work - I'm a graphic designer for a digital advertising company. I've been with them for the past three and half years and just thought it's time for a change and to get another design job! The plan was, when I finish up in two weeks, I'd receive an odd five weeks of holiday pay that I didn't use during my time there. I'd use that money as if I were still employed; for 4 weeks, I'd work my ass off Monday to Friday, nine to five, like a normal job, and design my new graphics/motion portfolio. Those plans have changed slightly…

Soon after I gave my notice, my auntie passed away from a cerebral aneurysm. A family member had given me the task to produce a slideshow of my auntie's life to play during the funeral. Now, my family and I are Filipino. I was born in the Philippines but moved to Australia when i was three. When I received all these images of my auntie, when she was young and living in the Philippines, it sparked the idea of traveling back there, and I guess you can say "find my roots." I really don't know that much about my birthplace; I cant speak the language and I don't hang around any other Filipinos - which I've noticed is what they do here in Australia. I guess the closest thing I experience to being Filo is the food my mum gives me. Other than that, I'm all Aussie, and hey, proud of it!

So anyway, I said "fuck it!" I told myself I will not have a job to tie me down. Why not live in the Philippines for a couple of months and design my folio there? All I need is my Macbook and my Wacom tablet and I'd be set for my photography work. There was only one thing that would stop me from leaving. I wouldn't be able to go unless I had someone to rent out my room, 'cause hells no was I going to pay rent while I was gone. I plan on going away for only 2 months and I'll be wanting to come back to my awesome crib here in Mermaid Beach. Luckily, one of my roommates managed to find a work buddy who was keen for the room, so I locked that in and booked my flights the following day. Within five days of the thought, I had booked my ticket outta here!

I've got two weeks left in Australia before I head on to my new adventure. During this time, I'll be researching places to visit around the country, contacting relatives for accommodation, nagging my mum for the friends she's got whose houses I can crash at, and writing up an outline on what to design in my portfolio. It won't be all adventure time, I'll need to come back home with a fully kick-ass portfolio 'cause I'll need a job ASAP, knowing how low on the moolah I'll be.

Now, bookmark my blog! I'll be posting up my rad adventures over there and also start including all my designs and animations!

Let's go for a walk…

No comments:

Post a Comment