Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fresh Sardines

Click on image for higher-res

Tuesday morning, I organised my trip to El Nido, a five or so hour drive north. Compared to all the other trips I’ve had to deal with during my adventure here, this would probably be up there as the worst I’ve had to endure…so far. Yeh five hours isn’t that long, but when you're jam packed in a Toyota Hi-ace like a sardine, sitting next to a grown man who acts like a restless child, while also driving through some bumpy terrain, it really gets frustrating. I’m just lucky I had my blackberry to use for tunes after my iPod shat itself back at Siargao.

Besides my comfort status, the scenic point of the trip was nice. Tall tropical mountains on one side, and then gaze over to the other side, clear blue coastal oceans. I couldn’t really take that many photos because of how crammed I was between a glass window and a pommy dude leaning into me when he tried to sleep. Skip four hours later, and we started to see the towering mountains of the Bacuit Archipelago from a distance, and I knew my shitty road trip was nearly over!

Once we arrived to El Nido, I got my gear off the roof, got onto a tricycle, and headed down the road (there’s one main road about 300 meters long where all the hotels are situated in front of the beach) to a café called “Art Café”. From the research I did previously, I knew the “Art Café” was practically the town's information center. From here they had a list of all the accommodation places in town and their prices. I ended up picking a place called “OG’s”. It’s cheap (P600) and positioned right in front of the beach with one heck of a view.

No comments:

Post a Comment