Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Arriving to Mindanao




I was reunited with some relatives at the airport and we headed west, inland to a town called Pigcawayan, North Catbato. The trip there has to be one of the scariest drives I've ever been in. Like I mentioned before, they really don't take in road rules. With the roads being a little bit more quiet here, you can practically go as fast as you want, no speed limit. I remember going past a school at about 115kph, and this was on a single-lane road. Their overtaking is another thing to mention, if there's an "obstacle" to slow for, you're likely to just overtake the sucker, but make sure the incoming cars are a decent distance from you (and when I mean decent, I mean thirty-ish metres.) It's like playing chicken; even the buses do it, though they're the ones you don't want to go head on with. If it wasn't the dodgy rebels that were going to kill me, it would have been a fatal car crash. I remember I tried to fall asleep so I wouldn't have to panic every overtaking attempt, but because a lot of the commercial trucks love to overload, their weight would just ruin the roads, creating massive cracks and ditches and shaking me awake. It was one bumpy ride, I had no chance of falling asleep in a Suzuki Swift, driven like a rally car.

No comments:

Post a Comment