Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Welcome!



I "safely" arrived at my destination in one piece, thankfully. It was a bit of a gathering at the house for my arrival. I've read on the internet that a lot of foreigners who travel to the Philippines tend to be treated like stars - well yeah, it's kinda true! It's quite uncommon for Westerners to travel to the Philippines, so it's a bit of a rare sight for locals to see foreigners walking around. They stand out like dog's balls so they treat them with great gratitude for visiting their town/city/shanty.

Anywho, met some more relatives. They explained to me who was who and then they pointed to this little squirt, in the image above. Have you ever heard stories of mothers ditching their kids in garbage cans? Well this is one of them. Though, it wasn't a garbage can, thank god. The story goes that a beggar/bum found this newborn, only a couple of months old, wrapped up in some clothes at a bus stop. Obviously, the mother had ditched the poor fella. The beggar didn't really have the funds to raise the kid, nor is there really an orphanage in this neck of the woods, so he passed the little one to one of my uncles to raise because he didn't have any kids. It's been over a year since that happened and, from what I've witnessed, he gets the much deserved love from my relatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment