Sunday, August 28, 2011











So far, my time on Siargao has been epic. It’s a beautiful island with the friendliest locals I’ve met so far in the Philippines. They’re such welcoming people. After some discussion, it's clear that they really want people to visit their island, unlike where I live. You can get the vibe that our locals ain't too keen on the tourism, even though that’s where the Gold Coast gets its income.

I’ve mostly been chilling out, hanging with the other visitors here. They’ve come from all around the world, but probably half of them are Aussies or Kiwis. I’ve even been invited to have dinner with the locals, that’s just how nice they are! I can now say I’ve surfed Cloud 9, but it's been pretty small - one to two foot small. If the surf is small, I'll go for walks around the place, do some snorkelling, or just sleep on the grass in the shade next to the ocean... or get on the booze.

About one hundred metres down from my resort, there’s an expat Aussie named “Bones” with a bar next to the Cloud 9 surf break called the “Bones' Bar”. It's got all the typical Aussie nostalgic league/union stuff around the bar. One of the nights I thought I'd pop in for a drink or two. What I didn’t know was that there was a game on with the Wallabies against the Kiwis for the Bledisloe cup. Bones was net streaming on the telly. Of course, all the Aussie and Kiwis came in force and it just felt like home, giving those kiwis shit all night. And, of course, the Wallabies won!

All I can say is I’ve got it good right now, and I haven’t even arrived at El Nido!

No comments:

Post a Comment