Saturday, August 27, 2011

The trip to Siargao Island



I arrived at Davao ready to catch the 6:00pm bus to Surigao City. The trip is about an eleven hour ride, so I would arrive at my destination around five the next morning. I was lucky to have some guidance during the trip; while waiting for the bus at the terminal, I started talking to these two locals catching the same bus as me. They spoke English pretty well, and I think they were lesbians; one of them looked like a bit of a tomboy. Anyway, they gave me helpful information, like when the bus would arrive to Surigao City, and how to get to the ferry terminal from the bus station. The bus trip there was pretty painful for me, I didn’t trust leaving my bag in the bottom compartment, because there were other stops before mine and any keen person would've easily been able to flog my bag full of camera gear and my laptop. I figured I could just keep it on board next to me, but I was wrong; I didn’t know the bus was going to be so busy. Needing to make room, I had to place my bag between my legs, and that didn’t give me much room at all, so I didn’t get that much sleep during the trip there.

Finally arriving to Surigao City at about ten past five, I was bloody glad to get out of that bus! Got out, stretched the shit out of my legs, and then went straight to the bush to drain my main vein. I found someone to drop me to the boat terminal and caught the six o’clock boat ride to the island. During the journey, I met a friendly Spanish girl named Ane. She was also travelling around the Philippines; before then, she had travelled around other parts of South East Asia. She also decided to find accommodation at Ocean 101, the same place I was staying. Anywho, got to the island. My lift to the Ocean 101 was there, waiting for us, and that’s when I knew it was time for me to really soak in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment